Located in New Kent County, St. Peter’s Parish was established on April 29, 1678. In the summer of 1700 the vestry ordered that a second Lower Church replace an earlier, structurally weak building known as the Broken Back’d Church. Construction of the new church, began in 1701, and was in use by July 1703.
In January 1759 the Rector of St. Peter’s Parish, the Reverend Mr. David Mossom, solemnized the marriage of Col. George Washington and Martha Dandridge Curtis. It has always been assumed that another future First-Lady, Letitia Christian, later the wife of President John Tyler, was baptized in the parish church in 1790.
The original portion of St. Peter’s Parish Church is one of the few Jacobean structures in America. Its 1740 stump tower is also rare. The body of the church is laid in English bond as are only three other colonial Virginia churches. In the churchyard are several colonial tombs. Arrangements for private tours or large groups must be scheduled in advance.